IRTA is currently seeking an enthusiastic and motivated PhD student candidate to join the Food Quality and Technology Program. We invite applications from candidates with passion to conduct research and innovation activities on the project SENSANALOG (Sensors and modelling to optimize the production of meat analogues from alternative protein sources using high-moisture extrusion technology)
Supervisor/s: Dra. Elena Fulladosa & Dr. Pere Gou
Job location: Monells (Girona)
Full-time position (37.5 h/week)
Terms of appointment: The duration of the PhD candidate contract will be for one year, extendible by yearly periods to a maximum of 4 years.
Salary: The financial remuneration will be of €1,236.39/gross per month (€17,309.45/gross per annum) for the first and second years. For the third year, it will be €1,324.10/gross per month (€18,545.84/gross per annum) and for the fourth year it will be €1,655.88/gross per month (€23,182.32/gross per annum) which will be subject to the corresponding withholdings, pursuant to prevailing regulations, and to the
collective employment agreement of IRTA (1)
Employee Benefits: 22 vacation days, 3 days of family & work conciliation, 45h of personal days, Friday afternoon off, Compressed Summer schedule from 15/06 to 15/09, Conciliation schedule.
Tasks and Responsabilites:
– The pHD student will perform a wide range of duties including laboratory and pilot plant work and data analysis.
– The research activity will be focused on:
▪ The study of factors affecting the development of the fibrous structure of high moisture meat
analogues when using different formulas containing alternative protein sources.
▪ Chemometric analysis and modelling for the digitalisation of high moisture extrusion processes.
▪ The demonstration of the feasibility of both sensors and algorithms to optimise processing.
▪ The study of the perceived feasibility of the food industry in relation to the implementation of non- invasive sensors.
– Participation in national and international scientific conferences.
– Writing of scientific articles. This thesis will be composed by a collection of articles.
Required qualifications and experience
Candidates must comply one the following requirements:
1) To hold a Master’s in Food Technology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Biology, Agricultural or chemical Engineering or similar; and Master in Biotechnology, Nutrition, Food technology, Spectrometry or similar.
2) To be in a position to access a doctoral programme according to the requirements of Catalan universities, i.e. accrediting between 60 and 120 ECTS credits at the official university master’s degree level or equivalent.
3) To be in position to access a doctoral programme on the date on which the contract will be formalized (students enrolled in a master’s degree level are eligible).
– Group work ability.
– Good statistical data analysis skills will be valued.
– Knowledge on sensors and chemometrics will be valued.
– Good communication skills, verbal and written.
– First certificate in English (or equivalent level)
– Catalan and Spanish are valued
If you wish to be considered for this position, please, send your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org