September 12-14 2023 at the food research institute Nofima, Campus Ås, Norway
The training school will give an introduction to practical applied spectroscopy for assessment of food quality. Focus will be on near-infrared (NIR) and Raman spectroscopy. There will be lectures, some practical experience with instrumentation, as well as exercises in analysis of spectral data.
The course will be held in Nofima, situated at Ås, about 30 km south of Oslo, is part of Campus Ås together with the Norwegian University of Life Sciences. Nofima is Norway’s leading food research institute and conduct research and development for the aquaculture, fisheries, and food industries. Nofima research is industry-oriented, and the knowledge they generate is actively applied by their clients. They havemany years of experience with research and development within fast and non-destructive measurements of foods for use in both, labs and food manufacturing processes (www.nofima.no).
Accommodation: While attending the course, it is possible to stay in a hotel in Oslo. The train to Ås leaves two times per hour and takes 17 minutes. A bus from Ås train station to Nofima leaves every 10thminutes and takes 5 minutes.
The closest hotel is in the small city of Ski. There is a bus going to Ås and Nofima every 10th minute and it takes 15 minutes. The hotel in Ski is Thon hotel: Thon Hotel Ski | Thon Hotels
A third option is the small cosy town Drøbak by the fjord. The bus to Ås leaves two times per hour and takes about 15 minutes. Hotel is Reenskaug hotel: Reenskaug Hotel – Drøbak (nordicchoicehotels.com).
Questions about the training school can be directed to
Jens Petter Wold, email@example.com, tel. +47 95979749
Lola Pérez Marín, firstname.lastname@example.org
Tuesday 12th September 2023 – NIRS
- Welcome to Nofima.
- Brief presentation of SENSORFINT Cost Action.
- Introduction to NIR spectroscopy – theory, instrumentation and key aspects in the development of NIRS models.
- Modelling and calibration with spectral data (Part 1).
- Tour in the lab. Look at different NIR instrumentation.
- Modelling and calibration with spectral data (Part 2).
- Exercise: Analysis and modelling of spectral data.
Wednesday 13th September 2023– NIR Applications & Practical recommendations and HSI
- Food & Feed applications.
- NIR and representative sampling: Consideration of measurement situation and sample properties such as heterogeneity.
- From lab to process – what must be considered?
- Practical example of NIR in industry: Grabbing samples, reference analyses, calibration, etc.
- Examples of NIR process data and how they can be used for process optimisation.
- Spectral Imaging – how does it work.
- Optical instrumentation – importance of good measurements.
- Training School dinner in Drøbak.
Thursday 14th September 2023– Raman
- Introduction to Raman spectroscopy – theory and applications.
- Look at Raman instrumentation.
- Pre-processing of Raman spectra.
- Exercise: Pre-processing and modelling of Raman spectra.
- End of course
Lecturers will include:
Lola Pérez Marín, University of Córdoba
Tom Fearn, University College London
Marion O’Farrell, SINTEF
Jens Petter Wold, Nofima
Nils Kristian Afseth, Nofima
Erik Tengstrand, Nofima
Katinka Dankel, Nofima
Tiril Lintvedt, Nofima
Call for applications will be published in www.sensorfint.eu and in SENSORFINT social media
Call will be open from 12th to 29th May, 2023